6/14/2011

Kingdom Death 2

Finally finished putting together all three models. They weren't as bad as I had assumed they would be. I decided to give them a quick black wash to shade all the details, but unfortunately it didn't turn out nearly as well as I had hoped.
Thank God I'm just going to prime them white and start painting them for real in a little bit.


I'll start with the pinup White Speaker as she was the easiest. She started off as three basic pieces and one of them was the cloak that I decided to ditch.
I'm not a big fan of fur cloaks and it almost looked silly on her.
She was the easiest to clean up as she only had a minor mold line along the outside of her legs and one arm.



I managed to pin her arm holding the knife in place and was thrilled at how easy it was.  I love working with resin models, especially after working with a lot of tough, heavy duty metal models, resin is almost effortless to drill.
The resin used in all the models is very...springy. It's strong but it has a lot of give to it. The only thing I can describe it with is a piece of wood that's still very fresh and green. It will bend pretty far without breaking till it hits a snapping point.


The pinup Forsaker was the 2nd one to get cleaned up. She was a tougher job. There were a few mold lines very close to the chains she has everywhere, so it was a bit hard to tell what was a mold line and what was actual detail.
Sorry about the splotchy wash. The wash didn't want to stick to parts of the model. I think it's from an improper cleaning on my part and I hope it doesn't cause my primer to flake off like a bad sunburn.


Remember what I said about snapping point? Her sword hilt used to have a manacle hanging down. I was in the process of turning her over and it got caught on my nail and suddenly it was gone.
Better broken now than after it is painted.
This model had a bubble in the ankle joint where the foot attaches. It's not too bad, but it's enough that you can see the pin I placed in it. Some green stuff should take care of it though.



Last is the pinup Preacher and her miniscule fingers.
First, her fingers hardly gave me any trouble, the worst part was figuring out a way to hold it steady enough to glue to her wrist.
Why didn't they just model it onto her hand?
Second, this model had more bubbles in her cast than the other two combined. They were very small, about .05mm, but enough to be noticed. One bubble killed the spike on her hammer.


Third, the hammer handle is VERY flexible. I accidentally bent it while trying to avoid the grasping hands of my curious daughter and it didn't snap or even feel weak afterwards.
Even with the bubbles, her quality is great. Against my better judgement, I may have to use her in games, just to see her in action.





I'm not sure when I will attempt to paint them since I'd like to finish up my Gremlin crew and attempt to work on some bases to go with them. Perhaps my next post will be my failures and successes at Swamp basing?

No comments:

Post a Comment