12/09/2010

WH 40k- Chaos Daemons - Bloodcrushers


Bloodcrushers were the first model from the Daemon codex that really excited me to attempt to convert.  While I absolutely loved the real Bloodcrusher model, I couldn't see myself trying to pay for several $50 dollar metal models and then trying to make each one look different from everyone else's models.
Luckily for me, as I was complaining loudly to my wife about my terrible, terrible problem, I chanced upon a sale that Miniaturemarket was having on old Rackham: Confrontation minis.
Each one was going for $10, used the same base size, and looked freaking amazing! It was a gift from the Chaos Gods themselves!

I painted them up using the same color scheme as my Bloodletters, adding in a great deal of copper and brass to give it a Khorne feel. Excessive violence and murder eventually turn my bloodletters into a massive, mindless version of themselves so they have to be chained and led into battle. Luckily my Bloodletters don't seem to mind the change.




More bright blue to help them fit in with the Bloodletters, but you can really tell I painted them onto a back that has no little bumps. I should have gone and sculpted little bumps all over like their lesser kin have.

The shadowing from the washes turned out better on these larger models and helped tone down the brass, but I'm not sure I toned the silver down enough it feels too clean for my tastes right now. Maybe I'll go back and dirty them up a bit.


The biggest complaint I've gotten for these models at Dakka Dakka was that the poses were way too similar, something I agreed with. 
So, I went back, tore several of the arms off and repositioned them so that they looked slightly different. 
The change to the arms helped, but they really are in the same pose and have their head cocked in the same exact angle. Not sure what I can do about that as these models aren't exactly pose-able.

2 comments:

  1. It's a confrontation model! I saw one of these a while back and LOVED it, but really thought it was an extensive conversion of a fantasy model (perhaps Vargulf?). Thanks a ton for letting me know.

    Any chance you remember the name of the specific model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the Alchemist of Dirz; Aberration Prime.
    Unfortunately they are out of print so are extremely difficult to find. :(

    ReplyDelete